Recipe Video: PA Cider Cheese Dip with Soft Pretzels
There are a lot of incredible food and cider pairings, but cheese + cider is one of all our all-time favorites. This party-ready recipe puts them together in a delightful way: a gooey, melty cheese dip (made with cider!), perfect for scooping up with soft pretzels. Serve this cider cheese dip alongside your favorite fizzy, dry cider and observe how the cider’s acidity and carbonation helps to cut through the cheese’s rich umami. Each sip refreshes your palate so you’re ready to dive back in for another bite!
Check out this fun video, then make it at home using the recipe below:
PA Cider Cheese Dip with Pretzels
Ready in: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry Pennsylvania hard cider
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for serving
- 12 ounces Pennsylvania sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup chives, minced
- Fresh soft pretzels, hard pretzels or any other snacks you prefer
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add the shallots and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the shallots and whisk constantly until flour turns golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the hard cider until incorporated. Whisk in mustard, milk and salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, whisking occasionally, until sauce begins to thicken.
- Reduce heat to low and add the shredded cheese a handful at a time, whisking to incorporate between each addition. Once cheese is fully incorporated, remove from the heat and top with chives and black pepper.
- Serve with soft pretzels.