Our Advocacy Committee works hard to change legislation for the better pertaining to cider in Pennsylvania. This includes defining cider as a beverage with the liquor control board, updating the law code to reflect federal standards for cider such as ABV, carbonation, and much more!
Our Advocacy Committee is led by Steve Frecon on Frecon Farms and Frecon’s Cidery.
• Gaining the support of Federal Congressman Ryan Costello to co-sponsor The Cider Act (HR 2903) that would loosen tax restrictions on hard cider and raise the ABV at the Federal level to 8.5%, setting a precedent for future legislation at the state and federal level.
• Working with the PA Apple Marketing Board to eliminate the marketing assessment on apples grown by a cidery that the cidery would then ferment into hard cider.
• Contracting with Versant Strategies, a public affairs firm specializing in agricultural issues, to promote the virtues of our legislative agenda in Harrisburg.
• Working with State Representatives to amend the legal definition of cider in the state liquor code to identify alcoholic cider as an individual product and raising the permissible ABV to 8.5%.
• Working with PA Sectary of Agriculture Russell Redding and the PA Farm Show to have hard cider recognized as a commodity to be judged and supported by state and federal marketing and grant programs.
• Supporting the annual PA Cider Fest and Cider Maker's Dinner to raise funds for the guild and celebrate the Pennsylvania cider industry.
Legislative Priorities – 2018 and Beyond
Through the support of our members we hope to:
1. Continue our work redefining Alcoholic Cider in the State Liquor Code via House Bill 1497 to ensure that product called Hard Cider must be made primarily of Apples and Pears.
2. Continue our work with the Department of Agriculture to put forth a marketing order that would raise funding for Hard Cider marketing and research.
3. Begin laying the foundation of the PA Farm Cidery Act, legislation that would promote and protect the growth of hard cider production in the state.